Re: How to watch for schema changes

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: How to watch for schema changes
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 5, 2018 at 8:40 AM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi, David,

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 1:46 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:41 AM, Igor Korot <ikorot01@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I presume threre is a query which check for the function/trigger
>> existence? Something like:
>>
>> IF NOT EXIST(SELECT * FROM ) CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION....;
>

> CREATE OR REPLACE is how you re-create a function that (whose
> name/signature) might already exist; CREATE already assumes one doesn't
> exist.

Why do I need to re-create a function with exactly the same name and body?
Can't I just check if such function exists?

You can, and depending on how often you intend to execute said code, it is probably the better way.  It also requires pl/pgsql while CREATE OR REPLACE "just works" as a single SQL command.  It seems easier to give you the simple answer than to work out the details for the more complex one.

David J.