Re: to_regtype() Raises Error

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: to_regtype() Raises Error
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 8:45 AM David E. Wheeler <david@justatheory.com> wrote:
Hey there, coming back to this. I poked at the logs in the master branch and saw no mention of to_regtype; did I miss it?

With no feedback regarding my final suggestion I lost interest in it and never produced a patch.

On Sep 17, 2023, at 10:58 PM, David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:

> Parses a string of text, extracts a potential type name from it, and translates that name into an OID.  Failure to extract a valid potential type name results in an error while a failure to determine that the extracted name is known to the system results in a null output.
>
> I take specific exception to describing your example as a “textual type name”.

More docs seem like a reasonable compromise. Perhaps it’d be useful to also describe when an error is likely and when it’s not.

Seems like most just want to leave well enough alone and deal with the rare question for oddball input on the mailing list.  If you are interested enough to come back after 4 months I'd suggest you write up and submit a patch.  I'm happy to review it and see if that is enough to get a committer to respond.

David J.