Re: New versioning scheme

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: New versioning scheme
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Thursday, May 12, 2016, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz> wrote:
On 13/05/16 02:53, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

Magnus Hagander reminded us:

And we already have a version numbering scheme that confuses people :)
Exactly.  I think it is time for us to realize that our beloved "major.minor"
versioning is a failure, both at a marketing and a technical level. It's a
lofty idea, but causes way more harm than good in real life. People on
pgsql-hackers know that 9.1 and 9.5 are wildly different beasts. Clients?
They are running "Postgres 9". So I'm all in favor of doing away with
major and minor.

[...]

Please don't go that way, the inflation of numbers like Firefox has, the numbers then have even less meaning.

Stop dumbing things down!!!  Help educate people, rather than become yet another Mushroom Farmer...

Better would be a prominent notice of what the versioning scheme is all about, and link to http://semver.org.

Why the link?  We don't do versioning in the way semver sets it up.  We don't operate in a way conducive to it either.

And if we stick to one release a year by the time we get in the 20 is won't seem that unusual.

I personally see no reason to change, though whether being imprecise or fundamentally uninformed the use of PostgreSQL 9 is in the wild and I suspect often by serve providers for whom PostgreSQL is only one of their responsibilities there because their client uses it.

I don't see the status quo changing.  It's one of our percularities and while a bit abnormal hasn't caused great harm to anyone.  And forcing a major version change every 5 years, while reasonable, is likewise generally unjustified and would make on my part, be couple with additional work around those versions which is unlikely to happen just because the versioning policies changed.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: When should be advocate external projects?
Сообщение: Re: When should be advocate external projects?