Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Where is the syntax "<-08>+08" documented—comes from "select current_setting('timezone')"
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 12:38 PM Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:
« POSIX has positive signs west of Greenwich, but many people expect positive signs east of Greenwich. »

Is there a setting that I can do to make "set timezone = '-08:00'" treat it as a request to set the negative value that I said?

That ultimately comes from the appendix.

As noted here:

There are three ways to specify TimeZone in PostgreSQL.  You are using the third option and thus are dealing with the caveats noted in the third entry's description and described in detail in the appendix linked to above.

I suggest restricting your use to one of the other two, recommended, options.  If you cannot avoid using the third option you must learn and abide by its rules.

David J.