Re: [GENERAL] pg_basebackup issue

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [GENERAL] pg_basebackup issue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sunday, April 23, 2017, chiru r <chirupg@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you for your reply.

I agree, However we are planning, users not to have any direct privileges on database objects or default roles(like SUPERUSER,CREATEDB,REPLICATION..etc) in postgres.

looking to create users(LOGIN) only and Grant all the privileges through roles like below.

Steps:
Create User
Create role
GRANT required privileges/default attributes(SUPERUSER,REPLICATION etc)  to Role
GRANT role to Users.

So,If I follow above process I am not able to do pg_basebackup.
Now I have only options left either I have to use postgres user or create a user directly with replication role(Which we are not interested in).

In future is there possibility to allow a user(using above steps)  to do pg_basebackup?.

The choice to make this not work is now well established so I would have say no, there isn't.

While making the " alter role ... set role to ... " has hope the only reason to do it is as a hack for the very case of not having superuser/replication inherited.  On that basis I'd say it's unlikely - I suspect we'd rather do the next thought.

If we decided to not be so nanny-ish we could add a "inherit-role-attributes" option to create user and then you could define roles with that option.

That's my opinion at least.  At this moment you'd be waiting at least 18 months for it to appear in version 11.

David J.