Re: Switching roles as an replacement of connection pooling tools

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Switching roles as an replacement of connection pooling tools
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Is there a reason something "SET ROLE ... WITH SETTINGS" couldn't be
> implemented?

Unless there's something underlying that proposal that I'm not seeing,
it only deals with one of the problems in this area.  The security-
related issues remain unsolved.

AFAICS there's a pretty fundamental tension here around the question
of how hard it is to revert to the original role.  If it's not possible
to do that then a connection pooler can't serially reuse a connection for
different users, which largely defeats the point.  If it is possible, how
do you keep that from being a security hole, ie one of the pool users can
gain privileges of another one?

(And, btw, I repeat that all of this has been discussed before on our
lists.)

​Understood.  ​

​My motivation is to at least make SET ROLE more friendly by allowing easy access to the pg_role_database_settings associated with it.  I think the main concern is inheritance handling (or non-handling as the case may be).  This particular complaint seems like an improvement generally even if the larger functionality has undesirable security implications.

David J.