Re: Named Operators

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Named Operators
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 10:14 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Isaac Morland <isaac.morland@gmail.com> writes:
> What about backticks (`)? They are allowed as operator characters but do
> not otherwise appear in the lexical syntax as far as I can tell:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/sql-syntax-lexical.html

Since they're already allowed as operator characters, you can't
use them for this purpose without breaking existing use-cases.

IIUC, specifically the fact that an operator is defined to start with one of those symbols and end at the first non-symbol.  We can't change the allowed set of non-symbols at this point, without defining something else to denote the start of an operator.

David J.