Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Clarify "allow_system_table_mods"
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday, April 25, 2016, Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 8:41 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 04/25/2016 05:29 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Melvin Davidson (melvin6925@gmail.com) wrote:
Hmmm, if you go back a few comments, you will note that per initdb --help
there is no such option available.

It's not an option *to* initdb, it's an option which is used *by*
initdb.

That really did not clear things up:) Does it mean that you can pre-populate the $DATA directory with a postgresql.conf that has allow_system_table_mods set to on and initdb will pick it up?

I suspect it means that when initdb starts up the database (in single user mode is suspect) it sets that option and does its thing.  And since its thing involves making the catalogs look like whatever the C structure are expecting there isn't an issue.

I am completely in agreement with what Adrian said.
I only started this conversation because my enhancement request to add relcreated to pg_class seemingly was going nowhere. I was told if I wanted to do that, I should write the patch myself
and submit it, but I am not a developer, so that option is out.

I also pointed to a "Customer Feedback" url that has apparently been active for quite awhile, but the developers deny knowledge of that.

So if we are going to use this list as a medium for enhancement requests, I feel it is only fair that
1. A formal committee to review all such requests be created.
2. That committee should meet (or review) periodically all enhancement requests.
3. If an enhancement request is approved, then the list should be updated with it, or else
   if rejected, then a reason (such as dangerous code or negative performance) should be stated.
4. Using, "it won't work in all cases" is not a reason for rejection. Think of positive benefits!

I guess "life isn't fair" is the most appropriate response to that...

I don't dispute that these things would be nice but one doesn't get to use software for free and then bitch about the disparate organizational practices of the people writing the code.  And I wouldn't classify the above list of self-proclaimed community entitlements as being particularly helpful - especially buried on an unrelated thread regarding a guc.

You've found a piece of obscure documentation that is unclear.  You've been told how things work.  Feel free to either submit a re-wording or an actual patch to prevent the next person from having the same confusion - depending on how motivitated you are toward that prevention.  Then, I'd suggest simple acceptance and moving on.

David J.