Re: psql remote shell command

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: psql remote shell command
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 7:39 PM, Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Dennis <dennisr@visi.com> wrote:
> Is it possible to execute command in on system the is hosting postgresql
> remotely using psql or other mechanism?  I know I can use \! in psql but
> that executes the commands on the host where I am running psql from.  Also,
> is it possible for a postgres login/user to stop or restart a running
> postgres instance from in side psql or similar client. e.g. psql -c “pg_ctl
> stop -D some_data_dir”

Not directly. You could implement an extension that wraps a function
available at SQL level taking some actions, however for the restart
the error handling is tricky if you just have control via psql. How
could you start a node that has been stopped during a restart but
could not boot up. Take the example of an incorrect parameter value
that has been added when the node was up via ALTER SYSTEM...

​I was focused on admin task due to the pg_ctl (not sure you'd want to run that via psql...) but if you have shell script applications you want to run you could consider:

​I used it a while back successfully but have since gone a more conventional route by embedding psql in shell and not the other way around.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: psql remote shell command
Сообщение: Re: psql remote shell command