Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [DOCS] ALTER SYSTEM is equal to editing postgresql.auto.conf, not postgres.conf
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 3:53 AM, <vodevsh@gmail.com> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/config-setting.html

&gt; The already-mentioned ALTER SYSTEM command provides a SQL-accessible means
of changing global defaults; it is functionally equivalent to editing
postgresql.conf

Should not it be ...to editing postgresql.auto.conf?.. I know user is not
supposed to edit postgresql.auto.conf but this is what ALTER SYSTEM does,
not touching the postgres.conf - isn&#39;t is confusing in manual?..

​I think it is fine; but if being picky I'd probably say:

"[...] of changing global default as an alternative to editing postgres.conf"

It is functionally equivalent from the perspective of the runtime environment of the system.  It is not mechanically equivalent since, as you say, the contents of postgres.conf are not actually changed.

David J.