Re: BUG #17724: All autovacuum workers operate on 1 db at a time

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #17724: All autovacuum workers operate on 1 db at a time
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 2:13 PM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17724
Logged by:          Peter Plachta
Email address:      pplachta@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
Operating system:   Windows (Azure)

Hi all

I have observed this on PG 9.6 and 10 and could not find a bug indicating it
was fixed.

Issue is that autovacuum workers appear bound to a certain DB, even if there
is more urgent (wraparound) work to do elsewhere.

In our case specifically we have multiple DBs, one has a large table that
for various reasons takes a long time (many hours) to vacuum. During this
time other autovacuum workers are idle while our other DBs which do frequent
insert/delete accumulate significant bloat which ends up affecting query
time.

Ideally the idle autovacuum workers would just proceed to the next DB.

This doesn't qualify as a bug report.  If you need assistance diagnosing issues on your system you should use the -general mailing list, or maybe visit a forum like Slack or Discord where once you find someone willing to help, communications tend to be much more interactive/timely in nature.

I would suggest you upgrade to a supported release in any case.

As for diagnostics, the system is capable of producing logs, and also has views, regarding the autovacuum daemon.  You should share this raw data instead of simply giving your interpretation of what you saw.

Sharing the relevant configuration setting values for the autovacuum daemon is also recommended.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #17717: Regression in vacuumdb (15 is slower than 10/11 and possible memory issue)
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17717: Regression in vacuumdb (15 is slower than 10/11 and possible memory issue)