Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday, March 19, 2020, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com> writes:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2020, 5:48 PM David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> However, one other consideration with sequences: do you care that
>> PostgreSQL will cache/pin (i.e., no release) every single sequence you
>> touch for the lifetime of the session? (I do not think DISCARD matters here
>> but I'm just guessing)

> Would you expand on this point or is there someplace specific in the
> documentation on this?

I think what David is worried about is that a sequence object is a
one-row table in PG's implementation.  Thus

(1) each sequence requires a dozen or two rows in assorted system
catalogs (not sure exactly how many offhand).

Actually I seemed to have missed that dynamic.  I was actually referring to the SeqTable hash table specified here:

I wouldn’t think there would be much spreading of data throughout the catalog if the sequences are unowned (by tables).

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Сообщение: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)