Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: explain analyze rows=%.0f
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 22, 2022 at 12:11 PM Ibrar Ahmed <ibrar.ahmad@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 12:01 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 2009, at 9:41 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com> wrote:
>> You're right that the number of significant digits already exceeds the
>> true accuracy of the computation. I think what Robert wants to see is
>> the exact value used in the calc, so the estimates can be checked more
>> thoroughly than is currently possible.

> Bingo.

Uh, the planner's estimate *is* an integer.  What was under discussion
(I thought) was showing some fractional digits in the case where EXPLAIN
ANALYZE is outputting a measured row count that is an average over
multiple loops, and therefore isn't necessarily an integer.  In that
case the measured value can be considered arbitrarily precise --- though
I think in practice one or two fractional digits would be plenty.

                        regards, tom lane

Hi,
I was looking at the TODO list and found that the issue requires
a quick fix. Attached is a patch which shows output like this.

Quick code review:

+ "actual rows=%.0f loops=%.0f": " rows=%.2f loops=%.0f",

The leading space before the else block "rows" does not belong.

There should be a space after the colon.

The word "actual" that you are dropping in the else block seems like it should belong - it is a header for the entire section not just a modifier for the word "rows".  This is evidenced by the timing block verbiage where rows is standalone and the word actual comes before time.  In short, only the format specifier should change under the current scheme.  Both sections.

- WRITE_FLOAT_FIELD(rows, "%.0f");
+ WRITE_FLOAT_FIELD(rows, "%.2f");

This one looks suspicious, though I haven't dug into the code to see exactly what all is being touched.  That it doesn't have an nloops condition like everything else stands out.

Tooling that expects an integer is the only downside I see here, but I concur that the usability of always showing two decimal places when nloops > 1 overcomes any objection I have on those grounds.

David J.