Re: Alter sequence restart parameter type

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Alter sequence restart parameter type
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Sunday, April 25, 2021, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

I use postgresql 12.6. I want to restart my sequence something like that:
alter sequence quiz_seq restart with ((select max(id) from quiz)+1);
but I can't do it.  Please, clarify. Can I use only plain numbers like
that?
alter sequence quiz_seq restart with 42;

Yes

Is it possible to clarify the type of the parameter RESTART in the
documentation?

Not,desirable.  This command isn’t special with regard to the fact the utility commands don’t get to use embedded queries to supply values.  Though you can just write some pl/pgsql and build a dynamic command.

David J.