Re: PostmasterPid not marked with PGDLLIMPORT

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: PostmasterPid not marked with PGDLLIMPORT
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 1:55 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:59 PM, David G. Johnston
<david.g.johnston@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe I don't understand PGDLLEXPORT...

We're talking about PGDLLIMPORT.

​Typo, was thinking "we export this for others to consume"...

> The PostgreSQL function/feature in question is already in place and can be
> accessed by someone using Linux or other unix-like variant.  But it cannot
> be access by our Window's users because we failed to add a PGDLLEXPORT
> somewhere.  If it is our goal to treat Windows and Linux/Unix equally then
> that discrepancy is on its face a bug.  The fact we don't catch these until
> some third-party points it out doesn't make it any less a bug.

If we had a policy of putting PGDLLIMPORT on everything, I'd agree
with you, but we clearly don't.  Something's only a bug if we intended
A but accidentally got B.  If we intended and got A and somebody
doesn't like that, that's not a bug; that's a difference of opinion.

​I find it a stretch that there is intent involved here.​  Your comments below further that belief.

I personally feel that we should sprinkle PGDLLIMPORT markings onto a
lot more things, but Tom Lane has opposed that at every turn.  I hope
we'll change our policy about that someday, but that's a different
question from whether such changes should be back-patched.

Different but related.

​I'm sure the opinion I've expressed has supporters but their isn't enough bashing of us by the community at large that this is likely to get the decision makers to switch their feelings.

David J.