Re: plpgsql question: select into multiple variables ?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: plpgsql question: select into multiple variables ?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> On 06/29/2015 12:07 PM, Day, David wrote:
>> What is wrong with my usage of the plpgsql  "select into" concept
>> I have a function to look into a calendar table to find the first and
>> Last weekend date of a month.
>>
>> create or replace function sys.time_test ()
>> returns date as
>> $$
>> DECLARE
>> first_weekend date;
>> last_weekend date;
>> BEGIN
>>
>> SELECT MIN(CAL_DATE),MAX(CAL_DATE) INTO first_weekend::date, last_weekend::date FROM sys.calendar ...

> The ::date cast seem to be the problem.

Indeed.  Here's what's happening: the argument of INTO can basically only
be a list of variable names.  (Well, they can be qualified field names,
but certainly not cast expressions.)  And there's this messy legacy syntax
rule that says the INTO clause can be anywhere inside the SELECT list.
 So what happens is the plpgsql parser reads "INTO first_weekend", notes
the next token is :: which can't be part of INTO, and drops back to
handling the rest of the input as SELECT text.  So what you wrote here is
equivalent to

SELECT MIN(CAL_DATE),MAX(CAL_DATE)  ::date, last_weekend::date INTO first_weekend FROM sys.calendar ...

which accidentally looks like perfectly valid SELECT syntax.  And I think
it doesn't complain about "too many output columns" either.  So you end up
with no reported error and very confusing results.

​Does it help to recognize the fact that "first_weekend::​date" is not a valid identifier name (because it is lacking double-quotes)?  It knows that "::" cannot be part of INTO but it is in the middle of reading the characters of an identifier and without quoting it cannot one of those either.  Can that be made to take precedence and at least cause this specific case to fail?

To make this noticeably better, we'd probably have to insist that
INTO come at the end of the SELECT list,

Are you missing a "not" here?  "...insist that INTO not come at the end of the SELECT list"?  It does seem any other location results in a syntax error - including in between the two select-list columns (i.e., MAX(...) INTO var1::date, var2::date MIN(...))

which would break lots and
lots of existing client code ... so I'm not holding my breath.

Moral of the story: being user-friendly by accepting sloppy syntax
is not an unalloyed win.

​From the documentation:

​"""
SELECT select_expressions INTO [STRICT] target FROM ...;

If a row or a variable list is used as target, the query's result columns must exactly match the structure of the target as to number and data types, or else a run-time error occurs. When a record variable is the target, it automatically configures itself to the row type of the query result columns.

The INTO clause can appear almost anywhere in the SQL command. Customarily it is written either just before or just after the list of select_expressions in a SELECT command, or at the end of the command for other command types. It is recommended that you follow this convention in case the PL/pgSQL parser becomes stricter in future versions.
​"""​

I've never really liked the above "customarily" advice and do so less given this example.  For all other statement types the INTO is the last clause written and while that may not be what experienced people default to doing it seems reasonable, safe, and consistent to suggest the same location for SELECT queries while noting that indeed its position just before or after the select list are common in the wild.  The comment about becoming stricter should probably just be removed because, as noted, it ain't gonna happen.

I'll admit that this all is not likely worth a great deal of effort given the lack of complains and the obviousness of the problem's manifestation.  But it is the case that the lack of an error occurs in the recommended syntax form.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: plpgsql question: select into multiple variables ?
Сообщение: Re: plpgsql question: select into multiple variables ?