Re: BUG #17794: dates with zero or negative years are not accepted

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #17794: dates with zero or negative years are not accepted
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Wed, Feb 15, 2023 at 12:54 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      17794
Logged by:          Richard Neill
Email address:      postgresql@richardneill.org
PostgreSQL version: 14.5
Operating system:   Linux

SELECT '0001-01-02' :: date
=> gives 0001-01-02 as expected

But,
SELECT '0000-01-02' :: date
=> date/time field value out of range: "0000-01-02"
I think it should be accepted as 2nd Jan, year 1 BC

and similarly,
SELECT '-0001-01-02' :: date
=> invalid input syntax for type date: "-0001-01-02"
I think this should be accepted, to mean 2nd Jan, year 2 BC.

We just stopped doing this "shift-by-one" in probably the one arguable case where doing so made sense.

We are not going to newly introduce it here.

As the others note, standardizing how to handle a requested year zero isn't a reasonably achievable goal right now.

Finally, there is no example of handling negative years here:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-DATETIME-INPUT

Yes, this niche area could benefit from some attention.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: BUG #17794: dates with zero or negative years are not accepted
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17794: dates with zero or negative years are not accepted