Re: What happened to the tip "It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges..."

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: What happened to the tip "It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges..."
Дата
Ответ на Re: What happened to the tip "It is good practice to create a role that has the CREATEDB and CREATEROLE privileges..."  (Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wednesday, April 19, 2023, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:

had a reference to an email thread on the pgsql-hackers with subject "fixing CREATEROLE". It was started by Robert Haas and it begins thus:

> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CA%2BTgmobGds7oefDjZUY%2Bk_J7p1sS%3DpTq3sZ060qdb%3DoKei1Dkw%40mail.gmail.com
>
> The CREATEROLE permission is in a very bad spot right now. The biggest problem that I know about is that it allows you to trivially access the OS user account under which PostgreSQL is running, which is expected behavior for a superuser but simply wrong behavior for any other user. This is because CREATEROLE conveys powerful capabilities not only to create roles but also to manipulate them in various ways, including granting any non-superuser role in the system to any new or existing user, including themselves.

The thread goes on forever. And it branches too. It's talking about possibly patching the code—precisely to bring about a change in behavior. And I'm asking if the fix(es) under discussion would change the behavior of the code that I showed.

Yes, the behavior change is part of the unreleased v16.  We don’t make non-bug changes to released versions.

David J.