Re: [BUGS] BUG #14739: Wrong message when unique contraint fail

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [BUGS] BUG #14739: Wrong message when unique contraint fail
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 6:16 AM, <fbd@datasapiens.com> wrote:

Bug reference:      14739
Logged by:          Fred BARROUD
Email address:      fbd@datasapiens.com
PostgreSQL version: 9.6.1
Operating system:   Windows 10

​[...]

UPDATE T_UNIK SET ID = ID + 1;

I know that PG is unable to do this set based operation properly because it
does it row by row (which is a nonsense since it works on many RDBMS)

​If you setup deferred constraints and execute in a matching transaction mode the above will work just fine.  For performance reasons it just doesn't work by default.​

But the error message is strongly stupid :
ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0xe9 0x71 0x75

I am doing this through PG Admin 4 (v 1.1)

​Performing that in psql on 9.6.3 provokes the expected error message so either its a 9.6.1 problem (doubtful) and you should upgrade or its a pgAdmin 4 problem (not that doubtful unfortunately) and you should report it on their mailing lists.  This list is intended for bugs in the server and the psql client.  pgAdmin is a third-party project.

David J.