Re: [DOCS] Window function docs

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [DOCS] Window function docs
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
As part of writing a talk about window functions, I have done some
cleanups of the window function docs, attached, that I would like to
apply to head.

+1 Overall.  Some minor technical items noted below.  The only conceptual item is whether (and, if so, how) to deal with partitions vs. frames.

​-    But unlike regular aggregate functions, use of a window function does not
+    But unlike normal aggregate functions, use of a window function does not

How broadly did you look for usage of normal versus regular?  The window function doc page uses "normal" once, vis-a-vis "ordered-set", I haven't looked further.  Note on that page the intro paragraph doesn't mention hypothetical-set aggregates as being distinct from ordered-set aggregates yet the tables and the docs here do.

+    treated as a window function and computed across the entire partition.)

Would introducing the concept of frame here trade precision for comprehension?

-    <firstterm>window frame</>.  Many (but not all) window functions act only
+    <firstterm>window frame</>.  Some window functions act only

This is a semantic change as to whether the dominate behavior is to act on frames or partitions.  IIUC very few window functions, when presented with a ORDER BY'd OVER and thus a limited frame, will still act on the entire partition instead of the just the frame they are provided.  In particular don't all normal aggregates (and user-defined ones) operate on frames?  The cume_dist function noted later is one of the few exceptions since it effectively operates on both - the frame for the numerator and the partition for the denominator.

+   aggregate function (i.e. not ordered-set or hypothetical-set aggregates)

I, and others, subscribe to the believe that both i.e., and e.g., should have trailing commas...

+   functions (includes <function>cume_dist</>) are defined so that they

s/b "including <function>cume_dist</>"

+   give the same answer for any two peer rows.

for all peer rows?

+   assuming the current row is does not exist in the partition.

remove "is"

Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Window function docs
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] Window function docs