Re: How to write such a query

От Jonathan Strong
Тема Re: How to write such a query
Дата
Список pgsql-general
@Adrian -

Using a unique key value or otherwise isolating a specific record via selection against values in its attributes is certainly preferable to choosing a row to update via its position in a result set, unless the use case actually makes use of that position info as a meaningful descriptor of the data in some fashion.

- Jon

Jonathan Strong

CIO / CTO / Consultant

P: 609-532-1715 E: jonathanrstrong@gmail.com

Quora Top Writer

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 1:58 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 9/18/20 10:46 AM, Igor Korot wrote:
> Hi, Johnathan,
>
> On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:34 PM Jonathan Strong
> <jonathanrstrong@gmail.com <mailto:jonathanrstrong@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Are you looking to arbitrarily update the field in the fifth row, or
>     can the row that needs to be updated be isolated by some add'l
>     attribute? What's the use case?
>

> What do you mean?
> I don't have any other attributes.
>
> I want to understand how to emulate MS Access behavior, where you have a
> form
> with the arbitrary query, then you can go to any record in that form and
> update any field.
>
> Is it even possible from the "pure SQL" POV? Or Access is doing some
> VBA/DB/4GL magic?

When you are updating a record in a form the framework(Access in your
case) is using some identifier from that record to UPDATE that
particular record in the database. From when I used Access, I seem to
remember it would not give you INSERT/UPDATE capability on a form unless
you had specified some unique key for the records. So you need to find
what the key(generally a PRIMARY KEY) is and use that to do the UPDATE.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com

Сообщение: Re: How to write such a query
Сообщение: Re: How to write such a query