Re: [GENERAL] SELECT slow immediately after many update ordelete+insert, except using WHERE .. IN

От Tom DalPozzo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] SELECT slow immediately after many update ordelete+insert, except using WHERE .. IN
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,
my release is 9.5.4.
a took a look over it. I guessed that counting could be slow because it needs to read everything and also that it can take advantage from an index. But I don't understand why the delay is after the updates  for a certain time and why WHERE..IN is much faster (ok, it's an index, but I'm reading all the rows).
Regards
Pupillo

On 12/09/2016 08:03 AM, Tom DalPozzo wrote:
> Hi,
> I did two tests:
> TEST 1
> 1 I created a table ("Table") with two fields, one ("Id") is a bigint
> and the other ("Data") is a bytea. Also created  an index on Id.
> 2 Populated the table with 10000 rows, in which the bigint is
> incremental and bytea is 1000 bytes long.
> 3 Executed SELECT COUNT(*) FROM Table;.  ---- It was very fast, almost
> immediate.
> 4 Updated 2000 of those rows for 1000 times. Each time using BEGIN; 2000
> UPDATEs to bytea field (no length changed);COMMIT;       <-------- It
> reached around 10000 rows updated/sec.
> 5 Immediately after that, executed SELECT COUNT(*). It took nearly 2
> seconds.
> 6 After 1 minute,  executed SELECT COUNT(*). It was immediate again.
>
> TEST 2
> I dropped the table and redid the whole test1 from the beginning but
> using DELETE.. IN (...) + INSERT VALUES (...),(...),...;  instead of
> UPDATE  at point 4.
>  I noticed that:
> - Point 4 took half of the time used through UPDATE (hence now  20000
> rows/sec)-
> - The slowness of SELECT COUNT(*)  remained much more than 1 min. (5
> mins?) After that it was fast again.
>

> BUT, in both tests, if I substitute point 5 with:
> SELECT * FROM Table WHERE Id IN (0,1,2,... all the numbers up to 9999);
> then it's almost immediate even if executed immediately after point 4
>
> ----

What version of Postgres?

See:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/FAQ#Why_is_.22SELECT_count.28.2A.29_FROM_bigtable.3B.22_slow.3F