Re: [GENERAL] error updating a tuple after promoting a standby

От Tom DalPozzo
Тема Re: [GENERAL] error updating a tuple after promoting a standby
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Is there an index on this table?

Have you tried a REINDEX on it?

yes there is an index on id field. I tried REINDEX. Nothing changes but I notice now (but perhaps it was like that even before reindexing) that every time I issue that UPDATE query, the number of the block it can't read increases by one.  Now, after some attempts: ERROR:  could not read block 12289 in file "base/16384/29153": read only 0 of 8192 bytes.

In your original post you mention this error occurred while testing backup/replication/standby promotion.

What was the procedure you followed in doing the testing?
Unfortunately I don't remember every step as I was focused on completely other things... Anyway, in synthesis:
1 pg_basebackup on primary and added, to the just created backup pg_xlog dir, the needed WAL files  according to the .label file (I'm trying without archiving) .
2 copied the backup dir to my two standby PCs (one is for sync streaming replication, the other async).
3 configured recovery.conf ecc... on the standby PCs.
4 started the two standby servers . The first was in sync replication, the second in async. Messages were OK.
5 Updated some thousands of rows in the primary just to check that it worked fine.
6 stopped the primary
7 promoted the 1st standby (new primary).
8 stopped/reconfigured/restarted the 2nd standby (async replication) to point to the 1st standby.
9 checked that all messages were ok in both active PCs.
10 tried to update on the new primary getting the error (perhaps after some successful updates but I'm not sure).

A new thing:
I noticed that, always restarting from the corrupted cluster (without reindex I mean),  if I update the row id=409 with few data (3 bytes), then it works and after that, even updating with that long data works.

Regards
Pupillo