Re: Non working example

От Maarten van Gijssel
Тема Re: Non working example
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
After I posted the question, I realised my mistake 😅. I was using the pg gem in Ruby to run the SQL "SELECT encode('123\000\001', 'base64')", the double quotes ensure the `\0` will be interpreted as a null byte hence throwing the error. Sorry, my mistake!

Regards,
Maarten

Op ma 1 jul. 2019 om 11:02 schreef Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se>:
> On 29 Jun 2019, at 12:45, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/functions-string.html
>
> Either I'm doing something wrong or the example `encode('123\000\001',
> 'base64')` will always result in a parsing error "string contains null
> byte”.

I think it’s something in the former category, the example works fine:

db=# select encode('123\000\001', 'base64');
  encode
 MTIzAAE=
(1 row)

How are you executing the example, via psql, another client or in some other
way?  Is the data perhaps being in some preprocessed along the way before it
reaches postgres?  If you copy/paste it in psql, does that work?

cheers ./daniel