Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident

От arnaud gaboury
Тема Re: confusion about user paring with pg_hba and pg_ident
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:20 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
arnaud gaboury <arnaud.gaboury@gmail.com> writes:

> I am a little confused about some of my settings when it comes to map

> linux/psql users.

I think you're misunderstanding what the user-mapping stuff does.

It does not silently translate the username in the connection request

to something else; rather, it checks whether a user having the given

external name is allowed to log in as a particular Postgres user.

So there's nothing particularly wrong with your config files, but your

expectation about how your Linux users should log in to the database is

mistaken.  dovecot needs to specify that it wants to log in as mailman,

and likewise mattermost needs to specify mmuser.

If it's not practical to make the client applications send non-default

user names, you'll need to rename the Postgres roles to match the
external user names.

Tom,

thank you for this point. I am not sure to understand the last part: <rename the Postgres roles to match the external user names>. Do you mean best would be for dovecot to log in as dovecot Postgres user, and mattermost as mattermost Postgres user ?
Thank you for precising.

.