Re: BUG #17594: conditional hash indexes size (hash index ignore WHERE condition during CREATE INDEX?)

От Maxim Boguk
Тема Re: BUG #17594: conditional hash indexes size (hash index ignore WHERE condition during CREATE INDEX?)
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 11:49 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I found very weird situation with size of highly selective partial hash
> indexes (they has almost same size as full table hash index).

hashbuild() sets up the initial hash index size based on estimating
the current number of rows in the table, without any correction for
partial-index selectivity.  I don't find this to be a bug particularly.
The odds of making things worse via a bad estimate seem at least as
high as the odds of making things better.

                        regards, tom lane

Sometimes it lead to unexpected results, for hash indexes most common (imho) use case is indexing long text/varchar columns on big tables where they provide substantial size reduction over usual btree indexes (or in extreme case of very long test columns - btree cannot be used at all). Now in the case of a partial hash index over a huge table (with highly selective conditions thus covering only a tiny part of rows) - size of resulting hash index could be a huge surprise (in the practical case where I found this issue it was 200MB hash index with only 5 rows in it).
Are most pages of hash index in that case will be completely empty and almost never touched by the database (thus wasting only disk space) or the resulting hash index will have very low rows per index page ratio (thus inefficiently use shared buffers as well)?

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone UA: +380 99 143 0000
Phone AU: +61  45 218 5678

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/maksym-boguk/80/b99/b1b
Skype: maxim.boguk

"Доктор, вы мне советовали так не делать, но почему мне по-прежнему больно когда я так делаю ещё раз?"