Re: BUG #17386: btree index corruption after reindex concurrently on write heavy table

От Maxim Boguk
Тема Re: BUG #17386: btree index corruption after reindex concurrently on write heavy table
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 7:43 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 07:00:31PM -0800, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> If I had to guess, then I'd guess that this has something to do with
> orphaned HOT chains, like those we saw in the bug report that led to
> bugfix commit 18b87b20 (which is in 14.2 but not 14.1). I could easily
> be wrong about that, so take it with a grain of salt. I find it a
> little suspicious that we're hearing about a REINDEX CONCURRENTLY
> problem in Postgres 14, which is much less mature than Postgres 12
> (where REINDEX CONCURRENTLY first appeared).

Possible, but hard to say without an actual proof.  Maxim, if the
problem is reproducible easily on your end, could you give a try to v12
and v13 and see if it happens as well there?
--
Michael

I don't remember such problems during the last year on v13 with the same workload and the same periodic reindex.
It isn't easily reproduced, table question is 800GB size (almost 2TB with indexes) and around 1000 rows/s updated (5k in peaks), under such load chance to hit the error seems around 60% (e.g. more than half reindex attempts end with broken index).
I have a suitable powerful server for tests, but there is no good way to simulate production workload (especially reproducible).
I'll see what I can do next week.

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7  985 433 0000
Phone UA: +380 99 143 0000
Phone AU: +61  45 218 5678

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/maksym-boguk/80/b99/b1b
Skype: maxim.boguk

"Доктор, вы мне советовали так не делать, но почему мне по-прежнему больно когда я так делаю ещё раз?"