Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE

От Deven Phillips
Тема Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE
Дата
Список pgsql-general
For this purpose, I have seen it recommended to use a UUID instead of a randomly generated integer. I do this myself for production applications and over millions of records I have yet to log a conflict. Also, as stated above, you could create a plpgsql function which would achieve exactly what you want (retry insert until it succeeds).

Just my 2 cents,

Deven

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu> wrote:
Hi,

W dniu 19.07.2015 o 14:10, Geoff Winkless pisze:
> On 19 July 2015 at 11:30, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu
> <mailto:rafal@ztk-rp.eu>> wrote:
>
>     when I have to invent/introduce additional
>     features/columns/attributes (like a key in addition to a sequence),
>     which are not required by the design, but necessary for implementation)
>     is a workaround (almost by definition).
>

> I'm sorry that you feel defensive about this, and apologies for
> repeating myself, but the fact that the random key can be duplicated
> means it should not be used as a primary key, so using a sequence as a
> primary key is not a workaround, it's a correction to the design.

OK. I think I need to apology myself, too. I hope my defense wasn't too
fierce.

But I need to clearify one thing:

Although "a random" can duplicate its previous values, "my random(s)"
(which are created for this application purpose) cannot be duplicated
when it's stored in the database as "live active data". I understand,
that UNIQUE constraint is precisely the RDBMS tool to guarantee that.

Naturally, if I put a UNIQUE constraint on that column, or make it a PK,
is just a matter of choice here. That shouldn't rise concern. I just use
tools RDBMS provides for "semantics" the application needs.

> Notwithstanding that, the reason UPSERT is required is because it's
> possible that two competing transactions can end up fighting over an
> INSERT and the workarounds that are required are either highly complex
> or not 100% successful (eg
> http://www.depesz.com/2012/06/10/why-is-upsert-so-complicated/).

I knew that Depesz publication before.

Actually it was the reason I've brought up "my usage scenario" here now.
I'm not as competent as Depesz, so:

1. I worry, that while restarting a failed INSERT transaction at
application level I miss something important (you people know by heart)
and unwillingly corrupt and/or "suboptimise" my application/data. (much
to the point Depesz described).

2. But, since the majority of the hard work of postgresql UPSERT
implementation is already done; I wanted to check out if the usage
scenario I point out falls into it as a "case", or is covered by it by
some "indiomatic SQL sequence", or otherwise. From current discussion I
gather: "its otherwise" - it isn't considered as applicable. (so I
concluded: I'll live with manual re-attempt of failed insert)

-R