Re: Recomended front ends?

От Andrew Kerber
Тема Re: Recomended front ends?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 8, 2019 at 1:30 PM Tim Clarke <tim.clarke@minerva.info> wrote:
On 08/08/2019 17:55, Stuart McGraw wrote:

> I would be a little cautious about Django.  Last time I checked,
> like many other web frameworks, it treats the database as just another
> component, one that provides data persistence for it, and consequently
> imposes its own constraints the schemas it will work with. Specifically
> IIRC it insists that tables have a single-column primary keys.  If the
> client's existing database is already designed this way then that may
> not be a problem but if it has composite PKs then another option may
> be better.
>
> Flask is another relatively easy to use framework, can be used with or
> without Sqlalchemy but doesn't have the wealth of addons available with
> Django and being simpler requires more work to build the end application.
> There are of course many other framework options (Bottle, Web2Py, etc)
>
> Although it's been a decade plus since I worked with Microsoft products
> I had fairly good luck back then using Microsoft Access / VBA connected
> to a Postgresql backend via ODBC.  Even back then MS's frontend
> development
> tools were way more advanced and easy to use than anything available for
> free in the Linux world.  The downside was having to program in VBA but
> things may be much better these days with .NET et.al.

We tried Django without any pleasant results.

I'd also caution using MS Access, we're desperate to get away from it.
Sharing code has challenges and it is horribly aggressive with caching
unless you use un-bound forms and write all the CRUD interface code
yourself.

Tim Clarke

Telephone: Witham: +44(0)1376 503500 | London: +44 (0)20 3009 0853 | Frankfurt: +49 (0)69 7191 6000 | Hong Kong: +852 5803 1687 | Toronto: +1 647 503 2848
Web: https://www.manifest.co.uk/

Minerva Analytics Ltd - A Solactive Company
9 Freebournes Court | Newland Street | Witham | Essex | CM8 2BL | United Kingdom

Copyright: This e-mail may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are not the named addressee you must not use or disclose such information, instead please report it to admin@minerva.info<mailto:admin@minerva.info>
Legal: Minerva Analytics is the trading name of: Minerva Analytics Ltd: Registered in England Number 11260966 & The Manifest Voting Agency Ltd: Registered in England Number 2920820 Registered Office at above address. Please Click Here https://www.manifest.co.uk/legal/ for further information.

You might look at Benthic SQLall.
--
Andrew W. Kerber