automated 'discovery' of a table : potential primary key, columnsfunctional dependencies ...

От Rémi Cura
Тема automated 'discovery' of a table : potential primary key, columnsfunctional dependencies ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello dear List,
I'm currently wondering about how to streamline the normalization of a new table.

I often have to import messy CSV files into the database, and making clean normalized version of these takes me a lot of time (think dozens of columns and millions of rows).

I wrote some code to automatically import a CSV file and infer the type of each column.
Now I'd like to quickly get an idea of
 - what would be the most likely primary key
 - what are the functional dependencies between the columns

The goal is **not** to automate the modelling process,
but rather to automate the tedious phase of information collection
that is necessary for the DBA to make a good model.

If this goes well, I'd like to automate further tedious stuff (like splitting a table into several ones with appropriate foreign keys / constraints)

I'd be glad to have some feedback / pointers to tools in plpgsql or even plpython.

Thank you very much
Remi