Re: PostgreSQL Portable

От Rémi Cura
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Portable
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey,
I'm working in GIS field and I had the same problems.
Solution I found, which has been working for the past year :
virtual box on external drive !
This way you can have an independent OS (Linux for easy postgres/postgis/whatever gis you want).

I find it very comfortable because my server is separated from guest os. So I can take the disk and work on any pc with virtual box installed (require admin right), and I have all GIS tools on the server, so the virtual machine is very self contained.
It is also easy to backup (but very slow due to huge iso file).

I use a USB2 okay-ish disk. Guest win XP 64 / win seven 32 ; Host Ubuntu 12.04 32b.
About perfo : I do complex queries. Perf are OK for my use case (about same as a dedicated XP 32bit).

Using the external disk to hold a table space is a __very__ bad idea.
As soon you do some upgrade/the disk get disconnected/anything happen, you are really screwed.
(I had the issue. Without backup you can't do much without very strong postgres skills)

Cheers,
Rémi-C