Re: [GENERAL] BDR replication and table triggers

От Sylvain Marechal
Тема Re: [GENERAL] BDR replication and table triggers
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On both sides, you would have a process that regularly decodes the stream and emits notifications for event in tables you are insterested in.

Sylvain

Hi.

It's not like BDR is unable to replicate triggers across the cluster: BDR is not intended to do so.

BDR replicates everything that happens inside a transaction; that includes both SQL run directly from the application, as well as changes made by triggers and extensions. As the changes are applied directly from the WAL, no trigger is re-run on the other nodes. If the trigger is re-run, that would lead to problems, such as duplicated rows.

The only "problem", if it really is, is that BDR does not copy notifications across the databases. As this may be seen as a problem, I could also consider it as a chance to make the application more self-conscious of the distributed environment it is running in. So I would try one out of two alternatives:

1. Make the application listen to notifications on both databases, so it will get notified of changes no matter where they happen

2. Instead of using notify, create a notification table, which your app should scan periodically and act accordingly.

Regards,

Alvaro Aguayo
Jefe de Operaciones
Open Comb Systems E.I.R.L.

Oficina: (+51-1) 3377813 | RPM: #034252 / (+51) 995540103  | RPC: (+51) 954183248
Website: www.ocs.pe