Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: Pluggable Storage - Andres's take
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 5:40 PM Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 5:05 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On 2018-09-21 16:57:43 +1000, Haribabu Kommi wrote:

> For example, in the sequential scan, the heap returns the slot with
> the tuple or with value array of all the columns and then the data gets
> filtered and later removed the unnecessary columns with projection.
> This works fine for the row based storage. For columnar storage, if
> the storage knows that upper layers needs only particular columns,
> then they can directly return the specified columns and there is no
> need of projection step. This will help the columnar storage also
> to return proper columns in a faster way.

I think this is an important feature, but I feel fairly strongly that we
should only tackle it in a second version. This patchset is already
pretty darn large.  It's imo not just helpful for columnar, but even for
heap - we e.g. spend a lot of time deforming columns that are never
accessed. That's particularly harmful when the leading columns are all
NOT NULL and fixed width, but even if not, it's painful.

OK. Thanks for your opinion.
Then I will first try to cleanup the open items of the existing patch.

Here I attached further cleanup patches.
1. Re-arrange the GUC variable
2. Added a check function hook for default_table_access_method GUC
3. Added a new hook validate_index. I tried to change the function
validate_index_heapscan to slotify, but that have many problems as it
is accessing some internals of the heapscandesc structure and accessing
the buffer and etc.

So I added a new hook and provided a callback to handle the index insert.
Please check and let me know comments?

I will further add the new API's that are discussed for Zheap storage and
share the patch.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia