Re: [HACKERS] pg_stat_lwlock wait time view

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: [HACKERS] pg_stat_lwlock wait time view
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

[ Re sending to Hackers as the earlier mail failed to deliver to Hackers mailing list]

On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Haribabu Kommi <kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 6:57 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally, my preferred solution is still to have a background worker
> that samples the published wait events and rolls up statistics, but
> I'm not sure I've convinced anyone else.  It could report the number
> of seconds since it detected a wait event other than the current one,
> which is not precisely the same thing as tracking the length of the
> current wait but it's pretty close.  I don't know for sure what's best
> here - I think some experimentation and dialog is needed.

Yes, using of background worker can reduce the load of adding all the
wait time calculations in the main backend. I can give a try by modifying
direct calculation approach and background worker (may be pg_stat_collector)
to find the wait time based on the stat messages that are received from
main backend related to wait start and wait end.

I am not sure with out getting any signal or message from main backend,
how much accurate the data can be gathered from a background worker.

Apologies to come back to an old thread.

I tried of using "stats collector process" as a background worker to calculate
the wait times for LWLocks instead of adding another background worker
for proof of concept.

Created two hash tables, one is to store the "LWLock stats" and another
is to store the "Backend's information" with PID as a key.

Whenever the Backend is waiting for an LWLock, it sends the message to
"stats collector" with PID and wait_event_info of the lock. Once the stats
collector receives the message, Adds that Backend entry to Hash table after
getting the start time. Once the Backend ends the waiting for the Lock, it
sends the signal to the "stats collector" and it gets the entry from Hash table
and finds out the wait time and update this time to the corresponding LWLock
entry in another Hash table.

The LWLock wait stats are stored in the stats file for persistence.

Currently no stats reset logic.

This patch is helpful in creating a view to display wait times of all wait events
that is discussed in [1].

Comments?

Regards,
Hari Babu