Re: [HACKERS] utility commands benefiting from parallel plan

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: [HACKERS] utility commands benefiting from parallel plan
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 2:43 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 2:22 AM, Haribabu Kommi
<kommi.haribabu@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the review.

I committed this patch with some cosmetic changes.  I think the fact
that several people have asked for this indicates that, even without
making some of the more complicated cases work, this has some value.
I am not convinced it is safe in any case other than when the DML
command is both creating and populating the table, so I removed
REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW support from the patch and worked over the
documentation and comments to a degree.

The problem with a case like REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW is that there's
nothing to prevent something that gets run in the course of the query
from trying to access the view (and the heavyweight lock won't prevent
that, due to group locking).  That's probably a stupid thing to do,
but it can't be allowed to break the world.  The other cases are safe
from that particular problem because the table doesn't exist yet.

Thanks for committing the patch.
I understand the problem of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW case.

Regards,
Hari Babu
Fujitsu Australia