Re: New function pg_stat_statements_reset_query() to reset statisticsof a specific query

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: New function pg_stat_statements_reset_query() to reset statisticsof a specific query
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018 at 2:12 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 10:56 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM Sergei Kornilov <sk@zsrv.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi

>> > This was proposed by Sergei Kornilov in
>> > https://postgr.es/m/3368121530260059@web21g.yandex.ru saying that "it
>> > would be nice" to return it. Maybe he has an use case in mind? I don't
>> > see one myself.
>> No, i have no specific usecase for this. Silently remove all matching rows and return void is ok for me. But i still think LOG ereport is not useful.
>

> I would much prefer it to be a return code rather than a forced LOG message. Log message spam is very much a thing, and things that are logged as LOG will always be there.

Is any such LOG message present in the latest patch?  I agree that the
return code might be better, but there doesn't exist any such (LOG)
thing.  I see that it can be helpful for some users if we have any
such return code, but don't know if it doesn't already exist, why that
should be a requirement for this patch?  Do you have any strong
opinion about introducing return code with this patch?

I thought that returning the affected number of statements with the change
of adding new parameters to the reset function will be helpful to find out
how many statements are affected?

I can revert it back to void, if I am the only one interested with that change.

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia