Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: pg_basebackup ignores the existing data directory permissions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:33 AM Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 2019-03-09 02:19, Haribabu Kommi wrote:
> Yes, I agree that it may be a problem if the existing data directory
> permissions
> are 0700 to changing it to 0750. But it may not be a problem for the
> scenarios,
> where the existing data permissions  >=0750, to the upstream permissions.
> Because user must need to change anyway to start the server, otherwise
> server
> start fails, and also the files inside the data folder follows the
> permissions of the
> upstream data directory.
>
> usually production systems follows same permissions are of upstream, I don't
> see a problem in following the same for development environment also?

I think the potential problems of getting this wrong are bigger than the
issue we are trying to fix.

Thanks for your opinion. I am not sure exactly what are the problems.
But anyway I can go with your suggestion.

How about changing the data directory permissions for the -R scenario?
if executing pg_basebackup on to an existing data directory is a common
scenario? or leave it?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia