Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows

От Haribabu Kommi
Тема Re: [bug fix] Produce a crash dump before main() on Windows
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 4:10 PM Tsunakawa, Takayuki <tsunakawa.takay@jp.fujitsu.com> wrote:
From: Haribabu Kommi [mailto:kommi.haribabu@gmail.com]
> I reviewed patch and it works as per the subject, but I am not able to verify
> the actual
> bug that is reported in the upthread. The moving of setErrorMode() call
> to the start
> of the main function can handle all the cases that can lead to a crash with
> no popup.

Thank you for reviewing the patch.  Yeah, I don't know reproduce the problem too, because some bug of Symantec AntiVirus randomly caused the crash before main()...

> The reset of setErrorMode(0) before start of any process can generate the
> coredump
> because of any issue before it reaches the main() function, but this change
> can lead
> to stop the postmaster restart process, if no one present to observe the
> scenario?
> Doesn't this change can generate backward compatibility problems to
> particular users?

Sorry, I couldn't get it.  Could you elaborate on it?  I couldn't understand how this change has an adverse effect on the postmaster restart process (restart_after_crash = on) and backward compatibility.

Sorry about not providing more details. It is just my doubt, because
I am not able to reproduce the problem to test it after the fix. May be
I can give a try by modifying the source code to get the crash.

My point is, With this patch, in case if the postgres crashses
before reaching main(), does it generate a popup?

If the answer to the above question is yes, then if the popup is
not attended by the DBA, I feel the postmaster is not able to
restart all the processes because it is waiting for the crash process
to close. Am I Correct?

Regards,
Haribabu Kommi
Fujitsu Australia