От shveta malik
Тема Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 4:51 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are some review comments for v48-0002

Thanks for reviewing. Most of these are addressed in v50. Please find
my comments for the rest.

> [...]
> +          specify <literal>dbname</literal> in the
> +          <varname>primary_conninfo</varname> string. This will only
> be used for
> +          slot synchronization. It is ignored for streaming.
>
> I felt the "If slot synchronization is enabled" part should also
> include an xref to the enable_slotsync GUC, otherwise there is no
> information here about how to enable it.
>
> SUGGESTION
> If slot synchronization is enabled (see XXX) ....
>
> ======
> doc/src/sgml/logicaldecoding.sgml
>
> 2.
> +    <para>
> +     The ability to resume logical replication after failover depends upon the
> +     <link linkend="view-pg-replication-slots">pg_replication_slots</link>.<structfield>sync_state</structfield>
> +     value for the synchronized slots on the standby at the time of failover.
> +     Only slots that have attained "ready" sync_state ('r') on the standby
> +     before failover can be used for logical replication after failover. Slots
> +     that have not yet reached 'r' state (they are still 'i') will be dropped,
> +     therefore logical replication for those slots cannot be resumed. For
> +     example, if the synchronized slot could not become sync-ready on standby
> +     due to a disabled subscription, then the subscription cannot be resumed
> +     after failover even when it is enabled.
> +     If the primary is idle, then the synchronized slots on the standby may
> +     take a noticeable time to reach the ready ('r') sync_state. This can
> +     be sped up by calling the
> +     <function>pg_log_standby_snapshot</function> function on the primary.
> +    </para>
>
> 2a.
> /sync-ready on standby/sync-ready on the standby/
>
> ~
>
> 2b.
> Should "If the primary is idle" be in a new paragraph?
>
> ======
> doc/src/sgml/system-views.sgml
>
> 3.
> +      <para>
> +      The hot standby can have any of these sync_state values for the slots but
> +      on a hot standby, the slots with state 'r' and 'i' can neither be used
> +      for logical decoding nor dropped by the user.
> +      The sync_state has no meaning on the primary server; the primary
> +      sync_state value is default 'n' for all slots but may (if leftover
> +      from a promoted standby)  also be 'r'.
> +      </para></entry>
>
> I still feel we are exposing too much useless information about the
> primary server values.
>
> Isn't it sufficient to just say "The sync_state values have no meaning
> on a primary server.", and not bother to mention what those
> meaningless values might be -- e.g. if they are meaningless then who
> cares what they are or how they got there?

I am retaining the original info till we find a better place for it as
suggested by Amit in [1]

> [...]
> + remote_slot->restart_lsn != slot->data.restart_lsn ||
> + remote_slot->catalog_xmin != slot->data.catalog_xmin)
> + {
> + /* Update LSN of slot to remote slot's current position */
> + local_slot_update(remote_slot);
> + ReplicationSlotSave();
> + slot_updated = true;
> + }
> + }
> + /* Slot not ready yet, let's attempt to make it sync-ready now. */
> + else if (sync_state == SYNCSLOT_STATE_INITIATED)
> + {
> + /*
> + * Wait for the primary server to catch-up. Refer to the comment
> + * atop the file for details on this wait.
> + */
> + if (remote_slot->restart_lsn < slot->data.restart_lsn ||
> + TransactionIdPrecedes(remote_slot->catalog_xmin,
> +   slot->data.catalog_xmin))
> + {
> + if (!wait_for_primary_slot_catchup(wrconn, remote_slot, NULL))
> + {
> + ReplicationSlotRelease();
> + return false;
> + }
> + }
> +
> + /*
> + * Wait for primary is over, update the lsns and mark the slot as
> + * READY for further syncs.
> + */
> + local_slot_update(remote_slot);
> + SpinLockAcquire(&slot->mutex);
> + slot->data.sync_state = SYNCSLOT_STATE_READY;
> + SpinLockRelease(&slot->mutex);
> +
> + /* Save the changes */
> + ReplicationSlotMarkDirty();
> + ReplicationSlotSave();
> + slot_updated = true;
> +
> + ereport(LOG,
> + errmsg("newly locally created slot \"%s\" is sync-ready now",
> +    remote_slot->name));
> + }
>
> 4a.
> It would be more natural in the code if you do the
> SYNCSLOT_STATE_INITIATED logic before the SYNCSLOT_STATE_READY because
> that is the order those states come in.
>
> ~
>
> 4b.
> I'm not sure if it is worth it, but I was thinking that some duplicate
> code can be avoided by doing if/if instead of if/else
>
> if (sync_state == SYNCSLOT_STATE_INITIATED)
> {
> ..
> }
> if (sync_state == SYNCSLOT_STATE_READY)
> {
> }
>
> By arranging it this way maybe the SYNCSLOT_STATE_INITIATED code block
> doesn't need to do anything except update the sync_state =
> SYNCSLOT_STATE_READY; Then it can just fall through to the
> SYNCSLOT_STATE_READY logic to do all the
> local_slot_update(remote_slot); etc in just one place.

We want to mark the slot as sync-ready once initial sync is over (i.e.
confirmed_lsn != NULL). But if we try to optimize as above, we will
end up marking it as sync-read before initial-sync itself in
local_slot_update() which does not sound like a good idea.

> ~~~
>
> 5. check_primary_info
>
> + * Checks the primary server info.
> + *
> + * Using the specified primary server connection, check whether we
> are cascading
> + * standby. It also validates primary_slot_name for non-cascading-standbys.
> + */
> +static void
> +check_primary_info(WalReceiverConn *wrconn, bool *am_cascading_standby)
>
> 5a.
> /we are cascading/we are a cascading/
>
> 5b.
> /non-cascading-standbys./non-cascading standbys./
>
> ~~~
>
> 6.
> + CommitTransactionCommand();
> +
> + *am_cascading_standby = false;
>
> Maybe it's simpler just to set this default false up-front, replacing
> the current assert.
>
> BEFORE:
> + Assert(am_cascading_standby != NULL);
>
> AFTER:
> *am_cascading_standby = false; /* maybe overwrite later */

Sure, moved default false up-front. But do we need to replace assert?
I think assert is needed to make sure we are not accessing
null-pointer later.

> ~~~
>
> 7.
> +/*
> + * Exit the slot sync worker with given exit-code.
> + */
> +static void
> +slotsync_worker_exit(const char *msg, int code)
> +{
> + ereport(LOG, errmsg("%s", msg));
> + proc_exit(code);
> +}
>
> This could be written differently (don't pass the exit code, instead
> pass a bool) like:
>
> static void
> slotsync_worker_exit(const char *msg, bool restart_worker)
>
> By doing it this way, you can keep the special exit code values (0,1)
> within this function where you can comment all about them instead of
> having scattered comments about exit codes in the callers.
>
> SUGGESTION
> ereport(LOG, errmsg("%s", msg));
> /* <some big comment here about how the code causes the worker to
> restart or not> */
> proc_exit(restart_worker ? 1 : 0);

I have removed slotsync_worker_exit() function as suggested by Amit in
[1]. Thus few of the suggestions (7,8,10) are no longer valid
relevant.

> [...]
> + /*
> + * The exit code 1 will make postmaster restart the slot sync worker.
> + */
> + slotsync_worker_exit(msg, 1 /* proc_exit code */ );
> + }
>
> Shouldn't that message be written as _(), so that it will get translated?
>
> SUGGESTION
> slotsync_worker_exit(_("slot sync worker will restart because of a
> parameter change"), true /* restart worker */ );
>
> ~~~
>
> 9. ProcessSlotSyncInterrupts
>
> + CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS();
> +
> + if (ShutdownRequestPending)
> + {
> + char    *msg = "replication slot sync worker is shutting down on
> receiving SIGINT";
> +
> + walrcv_disconnect(wrconn);
> +
> + /*
> + * The exit code 0 means slot sync worker will not be restarted by
> + * postmaster.
> + */
> + slotsync_worker_exit(msg, 0 /* proc_exit code */ );
> + }
>
> Shouldn't that message be written as _(), so that it will be translated?
>
> SUGGESTION
> slotsync_worker_exit(_("replication slot sync worker is shutting down
> on receiving SIGINT"), false /* don't restart worker */ );
>
> ~~~
>
> 10.
> +/*
> + * Cleanup function for logical replication launcher.
> + *
> + * Called on logical replication launcher exit.
> + */
> +static void
> +slotsync_worker_onexit(int code, Datum arg)
> +{
> + SpinLockAcquire(&SlotSyncWorker->mutex);
> + SlotSyncWorker->pid = InvalidPid;
> + SpinLockRelease(&SlotSyncWorker->mutex);
> +}
>
> IMO it would make sense for this function to be defined adjacent to
> the slotsync_worker_exit() function.
>
> ~~~
>
> 11. ReplSlotSyncWorkerMain
>
> + /*
> + * Using the specified primary server connection, check whether we are
> + * cascading standby and validates primary_slot_name for
> + * non-cascading-standbys.
> + */
> + check_primary_info(wrconn, &am_cascading_standby);
> + /* Recheck if it is still a cascading standby */
> + if (am_cascading_standby)
> + check_primary_info(wrconn, &am_cascading_standby);
>
> Those 2 above calls could be combined if you want. By defaulting the
> am_cascading_standby = true when declared, then you could put this
> code at the top of the loop instead of having the same code in 2
> places:
>
> + if (am_cascading_standby)
> + check_primary_info(wrconn, &am_cascading_standby);

I am not very sure about this change. Yes, as you stated logic-wise it
could be combined. But the current flow looks more neat while reading
the code. Initializing 'am_cascading_standby' as TRUE could be
slightly confusing for the reader.

> ======
> src/include/commands/subscriptioncmds.h
>
> 12.
>  #include "parser/parse_node.h"
> +#include "replication/walreceiver.h"
>
> There is #include, but no other code change. Is this needed?
>
> ======
> src/include/replication/slot.h
>
> 13.
> + /*
> + * Synchronization state for a logical slot.
> + *
> + * The standby can have any value among the possible values of 'i','r' and
> + * 'n'. For primary, the default is 'n' for all slots but may also be 'r'
> + * if leftover from a promoted standby.
> + */
> + char sync_state;
> +
>
> All that is OK now, but I keep circling back to my original thought
> that since this state has no meaning for the primary server then
>
> a) why do we even care what potential values it might have there, and
> b) isn't it better to call this field 'standby_sync_state' to
> emphasize it only has meaning for the standby?
>
> e.g.
> SUGGESTION
> /*
>  * Synchronization state for a logical slot.
>  *
>  * The standby can have any value among the possible values of 'i','r' and
>  * 'n'. For the primary, this field value has no meaning.
>  */
> char standby_sync_state;

'sync_state' still looks a better choice to me (discussed with others
too offline). If we get more objections to this name, I can consider
changing this.

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAA4eK1Kh2cj5vjknAxibpp8Dn%2BjjVwT%2BF7oMPT1P861s_ZrDXQ%40mail.gmail.com

thanks
Shveta