Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 11:34 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 18, 2024 at 10:17 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I think the unbounded size of the vector could be a problem to store
> > > for each event. However, while researching previous discussions, it
> > > came to our notice that we have discussed this topic in the past as
> > > well in the context of standbys. For recovery_min_apply_delay, we
> > > decided the clock skew is not a problem as the settings of this
> > > parameter are much larger than typical time deviations between servers
> > > as mentioned in docs. Similarly for casual reads [1], there was a
> > > proposal to introduce max_clock_skew parameter and suggesting the user
> > > to make sure to have NTP set up correctly. We have tried to check
> > > other databases (like Ora and BDR) where CDR is implemented but didn't
> > > find anything specific to clock skew. So, I propose to go with a GUC
> > > like max_clock_skew such that if the difference of time between the
> > > incoming transaction's commit time and the local time is more than
> > > max_clock_skew then we raise an ERROR. It is not clear to me that
> > > putting bigger effort into clock skew is worth especially when other
> > > systems providing CDR feature (like Ora or BDR) for decades have not
> > > done anything like vector clocks. It is possible that this is less of
> > > a problem w.r.t CDR and just detecting the anomaly in clock skew is
> > > good enough.
> >
> > I believe that if we've accepted this solution elsewhere, then we can
> > also consider the same. Basically, we're allowing the application to
> > set its tolerance for clock skew. And, if the skew exceeds that
> > tolerance, it's the application's responsibility to synchronize;
> > otherwise, an error will occur. This approach seems reasonable.
>
> This model can be further extended by making the apply worker wait if
> the remote transaction's commit_ts is greater than the local
> timestamp. This ensures that no local transactions occurring after the
> remote transaction appear to have happened earlier due to clock skew
> instead we make them happen before the remote transaction by delaying
> the remote transaction apply.  Essentially, by having the remote
> application wait until the local timestamp matches the remote
> transaction's timestamp, we ensure that the remote transaction, which
> seems to occur after concurrent local transactions due to clock skew,
> is actually applied after those transactions.
>
> With this model, there should be no ordering errors from the
> application's perspective as well if synchronous commit is enabled.
> The transaction initiated by the publisher cannot be completed until
> it is applied to the synchronous subscriber. This ensures that if the
> subscriber's clock is lagging behind the publisher's clock, the
> transaction will not be applied until the subscriber's local clock is
> in sync, preventing the transaction from being completed out of order.

I tried to work out a few scenarios with this, where the apply worker
will wait until its local clock hits 'remote_commit_tts - max_skew
permitted'. Please have a look.

Let's say, we have a GUC to configure max_clock_skew permitted.
Resolver is last_update_wins in both cases.

----------------
1) Case 1: max_clock_skew set to 0 i.e. no tolerance for clock skew.

Remote Update with commit_timestamp = 10.20AM.
Local clock (which is say 5 min behind) shows = 10.15AM.

When remote update arrives at local node, we see that skew is greater
than max_clock_skew and thus apply worker waits till local clock hits
'remote's commit_tts - max_clock_skew' i.e. till 10.20 AM. Once the
local clock hits 10.20 AM, the worker applies the remote change with
commit_tts of 10.20AM. In the meantime (during wait period of apply
worker)) if some local update on same row has happened at say 10.18am,
that will applied first, which will be later overwritten by above
remote change of 10.20AM as remote-change's timestamp appear more
latest, even though it has happened earlier than local change.

2)  Case 2: max_clock_skew is set to 2min.

Remote Update with commit_timestamp=10.20AM
Local clock (which is say 5 min behind) = 10.15AM.

Now apply worker will notice skew greater than 2min and thus will wait
till local clock hits 'remote's commit_tts - max_clock_skew' i.e.
10.18 and will apply the change with commit_tts of 10.20 ( as we
always save the origin's commit timestamp into local commit_tts, see
RecordTransactionCommit->TransactionTreeSetCommitTsData). Now lets say
another local update is triggered at 10.19am, it will be applied
locally but it will be ignored on remote node. On the remote node ,
the existing change with a timestamp of 10.20 am will win resulting in
data divergence.

In case 1, the local change which was otherwise triggered later than
the remote change is overwritten by remote change. And in Case2, it
results in data divergence. Is this behaviour in both cases expected?
Or am I getting the wait logic wrong? Thoughts?

thanks
Shveta