Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 5:24 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >> insert to arrive.
> >>
> >> But if we misdetect the situation, we either end up with a row that
> >> shouldn't be there, or losing an update.
> >
> > Doesn't the above example indicate that 'update_deleted' should also
> > be considered a necessary conflict type?  Please see the possibilities
> > of conflicts in all three cases:
> >

> > The "correct" order of receiving messages on node C (as suggested
> > above) is T1-T3-T2   (case1)
> > ----------
> > T1 will insert the row.
> > T3 will have update_differ conflict; latest_timestamp wins or apply
> > will apply it. earliest_timestamp_wins or skip will skip it.
> > T2 will delete the row (irrespective of whether the update happened or not).
> > End Result: No Data.
> >
> > T1-T2-T3
> > ----------
> > T1 will insert the row.
> > T2 will delete the row.
> > T3 will have conflict update_deleted. If it is 'update_deleted', the
> > chances are that the resolver set here is to 'skip' (default is also
> > 'skip' in this case).
> >
> > If vacuum has deleted that row (or if we don't support
> > 'update_deleted' conflict), it will be 'update_missing' conflict. In
> > that case, the user may end up inserting the row if resolver chosen is
> > in favor of apply (which seems an obvious choice for 'update_missing'
> > conflict; default is also 'apply_or_skip').
> >
> > End result:
> > Row inserted with 'update_missing'.
> > Row correctly skipped with 'update_deleted' (assuming the obvious
> > choice seems to be 'skip' for update_deleted case).
> >
> > So it seems that with 'update_deleted' conflict, there are higher
> > chances of opting for right decision here (which is to discard the
> > update), as 'update_deleted' conveys correct info to the user.  The
> > 'update_missing' OTOH does not convey correct info and user may end up
> > inserting the data by choosing apply favoring resolvers for
> > 'update_missing'. Again, we get benefit of 'update_deleted' for
> > *recently* deleted rows only.
> >
> > T3-T1-T2
> > ----------
> > T3 may end up inserting the record if the resolver is in favor of
> > 'apply' and all the columns are received from remote.
> > T1 will have' insert_exists' conflict and thus may either overwrite
> > 'updated' values or may leave the data as is (based on whether
> > resolver is in favor of apply or not)
> > T2 will end up deleting it.
> > End Result: No Data.
> >
> > I feel for second case (and similar cases), 'update_deleted' serves a
> > better conflict type.
> >

> True, but this is pretty much just a restatement of the example, right?
>
> The point I was trying to make is that this hinges on the ability to
> detect the correct conflict type. And if vacuum can swoop in and remove
> the recently deleted tuples (which I believe can happen at any time,
> right?), then that's not guaranteed, because we won't see the deleted

Yes, that's correct. However, many cases could benefit from the
update_deleted conflict type if it can be implemented reliably. That's
why we wanted to give it a try. But if we can't achieve predictable
results with it, I'm fine to drop this approach and conflict_type. We
can consider a better design in the future that doesn't depend on
non-vacuumed entries and provides a more robust method for identifying
deleted rows.

> Also, can the resolver even convert the UPDATE into INSERT and proceed?
> Maybe with REPLICA IDENTITY FULL?

Yes, it can, as long as the row doesn't contain toasted data. Without
toasted data, the new tuple is fully logged. However, if the row does
contain toasted data, the new tuple won't log it completely. In such a
case, REPLICA IDENTITY FULL becomes a requirement to ensure we have
all the data necessary to create the row on the target side. In
absence of RI full and with row lacking toasted data, the operation
will be skipped or error will be raised.

> Otherwise the row might be incomplete,
> missing required columns etc. In which case it'd have to wait for the
> actual INSERT to arrive - which would work for actual update_missing,
> where the row may be delayed due to network issues. But if that's a
> mistake due to vacuum removing the deleted tuple, it'll wait forever.

Even in case of 'update_missing', we do not intend to wait for 'actual
insert' to arrive, as it is not guaranteed if the 'insert' will arrive
or not. And thus we plan to skip or error out  (based on user's
configuration) if a complete row can not be created for insertion.

thanks
Shveta