Re: Question about attention to pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org

От Imre Samu
Тема Re: Question about attention to pgsql-hackers@lists.postgresql.org
Дата
Список pgsql-general
From the original post
"-This whole system will uphold any precision, certainly ones within a very large range limit, controlled by the already available type for large positive integers, the BIGINT. It can thereby enumerate digits within the range of
(+/-)1 to (+/-)9,223,372,036,854,775,807. This is at least between one and positive nine quintilion digit places. More than enough for the speed and scope of today, or maybe tomorrow, and the Desktop PC, as either a client or a server."

As I know PostgreSQL 14 "field" size upper limit : 1 GB   ~=  1 000 000 000 byte  ( 1 byte --> 2 digits )
so this is a hard limitation on the PostgreSQL side.

proposal for the first iteration:
- just using the Postgres "numeric" type (  "up to 131072 digits before the decimal point; up to 16383 digits after the decimal point" )
  and it will be so much easier.

I was wondering if anyone can or will pay some active attention to it?

Why is this important to you?
How are you expected to contribute to the proposed project?
What technical background do you have?

Regards,
 Imre