Understanding query planner cpu usage

От Lucas Fairchild-Madar
Тема Understanding query planner cpu usage
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm having an perplexing issue in PG 10.1 wherein deleting a large amount of rows from a table causes query planning time to spike dramatically for a while. This happens with or without autovacuums so vacuuming isn't the issue.

CPU usage during this time spikes as well. I can't determine if the query planning issue is caused by CPU starvation or if the CPU starvation is caused by the query planning. Either way, query planning spikes from 15ms to nearly 7 seconds, and the load average on the machine spikes from around 1.0 to 80 or 90. Despite query planning time increasing by several orders of magnitude, query execution time remains very similar.

The schema and query are similar to what's below, with each table containing about 60 million rows. The load spike happens after deleting approximately 1% of the table data from each of the tables in a transaction. It happens immediately after the transaction commits, not during the transaction itself. The transaction takes about a minute to execute.

It's possible there are other longer lived transactions that may be working on data in these tables, and I think there's probably a clue to the cause here.

Does anyone have any clues or pointers for what I can look for? Is there a way to interrogate the query planner and see what it's doing? (explain analyze only gives the final chosen plan and how long query planning took to execute)

CREATE TABLE data (
    data_id bigint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
);

CREATE TABLE segment (
    data_id bigint NOT NULL,
    segment_id bigint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
);

CREATE TABLE raw (
    segment_id bigint NOT NULL,
    raw_id bigint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
);

CREATE TABLE processed (
    segment_id bigint NOT NULL,
    raw_id bigint NOT NULL,
    processed_id bigint NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY,
    magical_id integer
);

All primary keys are auto-incrementing sequences.

data -> segment is 1:many (but typically 1:1)
segment -> raw is 1:many (but almost always 1:1)
raw -> processed is 1:1

select * from processed
  left join raw using (raw_id, segment_id)
  left join segment using (segment_id)
  left join data using (data_id)
  where processed.magical_id = [magical_id]
  order by processed_id desc;