Re: Planner debug views

От Qingqing Zhou
Тема Re: Planner debug views
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 6:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Another point is that we decided a long time ago that EXPLAIN's plain-text
> output format is not intended to be machine-parsable, and so objecting to
> a design on the grounds that it makes machine parsing harder is pretty
> wrongheaded.  I'd think there is plenty of room for dropping in additional
> output data in the non-text output formats.

I think this will work, for example, I can put several sections of the
JSON output:

{       "plan": {               // original EXPLAIN plan tree sits here       },       "paths":{               // paths
consideredsits here       }       // ...

}

But still, it requires an extra step for user: he will needs to
programming to read through output (easier) and persists into a table for
later query.

Can we simplify above with foreign table methods? There are two major
concerns about this method per previous discussions: security and
usability. I think the main cause is the sharing foreign table design. How
about we put foreign table in separate pg_stat_tmp/<pid> folders, similar
to what Alvaro proposes, and similar to /proc file system. Meanwhile, we
introduce a function to help user create foreign table mapping to these
files. This looks solves the security and usability issues to me:
       postgres=# select pg_debug_planner_init();       Foreign table 'pg_planner_rels', 'pg_planner_paths' created.
  postgres=# EXPLAIN (debug_planner=on, ...) ...       ...       postgres=# select * from pg_planner_paths;       ...

Thoughts?

Qngqing