Re: Rows are repeating by the trigger function

От Kiran
Тема Re: Rows are repeating by the trigger function
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Alban,

I agree with you about the UPDATE.
Thanks for pointing out.

regards
Kiran

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 12:49 PM, Alban Hertroys <haramrae@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 30 Oct 2016, at 10:31, Kiran <bangalore.kiran@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Folks,
>
> I have a  table cf_question with 31 rows.
> I want to insert/update another table cf_user_question_link  when cf_question table is inserted/updated with row(s).
> I have written trigger function for this as follows.
>

>       CREATE FUNCTION user_question_link() RETURNS trigger AS
>       $user_question_link$
>       begin
>       SET search_path TO monolith;
>        INSERT INTO
>        cf_user_question_link(cf_user_id,cf_question_id)
>        VALUES(NEW.user_id,NEW.cf_question_id);
>       RETURN NEW;
>       end;
>       $user_question_link$
>       LANGUAGE plpgsql
>       COST 100;
>

> /* Call the trigger function */
>
>       CREATE TRIGGER insert_user_question_link AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
>       ON monolith.cf_question
>       FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE user_question_link();
>

> Problem: The cf_user_question_link gets inserted with 94 rows instead of 31 rows. The 31 rows are repeated 3 times
>                  I tried dropping the trigger function and recreating it but with the same 94 rows in the table.
>
> It would be great if any from the forum point to me where I am doing wrong.

I don't think you want that same trigger to fire on UPDATE of cf_question, like you do now.

On UPDATE you have two choices;
- either you need to take changes to those _id columns into account and delete rows that belong to the OLD link and not to the NEW one (or do nothing if those stayed the same)
- or you do nothing (no trigger needed) because in the majority of cases changing FK's is limited to a few power users at best and they're supposed to know what they're doing.

Alban Hertroys