Re: need advice for simple web development tools

От Steve Midgley
Тема Re: need advice for simple web development tools
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 03/28/2016 03:51 PM, Michael Moore wrote:
I want to create some web page screens with postgres as the db. It is
just for simple prototyping. I don't need scalability or high
performance. I just want the simplest possible environment to toss up
some quick web pages with postgres data. Hopefully no app server or
middle tier.
What should I be looking at?

Since you are using a database I am assuming you want the pages to be at least somewhat dynamic e.g. respond to user input. If this is the case that would tend to point to some sort of middle tier to negotiate between the Web server and the database.

So some questions:

1) What exactly are you trying to achieve in terms of interaction between the user and the data?

2) What language(s) do you want to work in?

Thanks,
Mike

A lot depends on your answers to Mike's questions - and depending on your language preferences there are lots of very good options out there. I personally like Ruby on Rails for setting up interactive websites based on Postgres very quickly. There's a lot of scaffolding to help you out - a friend of mine built a pretty full featured mobile site with almost no coding ability.

But if your dynamic data and user interface needs are lower, then consider WordPress or Drupal. The problem with these is their data models are highly abstracted, so while they use Postgres for persistence, your data won't be easily visible in their tables.

Steve

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: need advice for simple web development tools
Сообщение: Re: need advice for simple web development tools