Re: [SQL] Issues with lag command

От Steve Midgley
Тема Re: [SQL] Issues with lag command
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:48 AM, Mohamed DIA <macdia2002@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello
I have a test table with the following structure (2 columns: ID and time_id )and data

ID, time_id

1;"2015-01-01"
2;""
3;""
4;"2015-01-02"
5;""
6;""
7;""
8;"2015-01-03"
9;""
10;""
11;""
12;""
13;"2015-01-05"
14;""
15;""
16;""

I'd like to update line 2 and 3 with the date in record 1 (2015-01-01)
Update line 5,6 and 7 with the date in record 4 (2015-01-02) and so on

The general logic is that anytime we find a record with a time_id null, we would like to update it with the previous time_id that is not null.
I use the LAG function and the below code

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.update_test_dates()
  RETURNS SETOF test AS
$BODY$
DECLARE

    r test%rowtype;
BEGIN
    FOR r IN SELECT * FROM test  order by id

    LOOP
        -- can do some processing here
        if r.time_id is  null
        then
        update test set time_id= (select lag(time_id) OVER (ORDER BY id) from test where id=r.id) where id=r.id;
        end if;

        RETURN NEXT r; -- return current row of SELECT
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END
$BODY$
  LANGUAGE plpgsql;

  select * from update_test_dates();

However, it does not work. Postgres update all rows with a NULL value
Any one can tell me what needs to be changed in my procedure in order to fix the issue?

Regards

I may be wrong about this, but doesn't lag need an offset value? So your statement should be `lag(time_id, 1)`?

Maybe lag defaults to offset 1 but if not, then it would seem your current statement is grabbing its own row's time_id, and you want to pull the time_id from the row offset by 1?

Steve

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления: