Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side

От Greg Nancarrow
Тема Re: Skipping logical replication transactions on subscriber side
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 4:44 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've attached an updated patch. The new syntax is like "ALTER
> SUBSCRIPTION testsub SKIP (xid = '123')".

I have some review comments:

(1) Patch comment - some suggested wording improvements

BEFORE:
If incoming change violates any constraint, logical replication stops
AFTER:
If an incoming change violates any constraint, logical replication stops

BEFORE:
The user can specify XID by ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP (xid = XXX),
updating pg_subscription.subskipxid field, telling the apply worker to
skip the transaction.
AFTER:
The user can specify the XID of the transaction to skip using
ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP (xid = XXX), updating the pg_subscription.subskipxid
field, telling the apply worker to skip the transaction.

src/sgml/logical-replication.sgml
(2) Some suggested wording improvements

(i) Missing "the"
BEFORE:
+   the existing data.  When a conflict produce an error, it is shown in
AFTER:
+   the existing data.  When a conflict produce an error, it is shown in the

(ii) Suggest starting a new sentence
BEFORE:
+   and it is also shown in subscriber's server log as follows:
AFTER:
+   The error is also shown in the subscriber's server log as follows:

(iii) Context message should say "at ..." instead of "with commit
timestamp ...", to match the actual output from the current code
BEFORE:
+CONTEXT:  processing remote data during "INSERT" for replication
target relation "public.test" in transaction 716 with commit timestamp
2021-09-29 15:52:45.165754+00
AFTER:
+CONTEXT:  processing remote data during "INSERT" for replication
target relation "public.test" in transaction 716 at 2021-09-29
15:52:45.165754+00

(iv) The following paragraph seems out of place, with the information
presented in the wrong order:

+  <para>
+   In this case, you need to consider changing the data on the
subscriber so that it
+   doesn't conflict with incoming changes, or dropping the
conflicting constraint or
+   unique index, or writing a trigger on the subscriber to suppress or redirect
+   conflicting incoming changes, or as a last resort, by skipping the
whole transaction.
+   They skip the whole transaction, including changes that may not violate any
+   constraint.  They may easily make the subscriber inconsistent, especially if
+   a user specifies the wrong transaction ID or the position of origin.
+  </para>

How about rearranging it as follows:

+  <para>
+   These methods skip the whole transaction, including changes that
may not violate
+   any constraint. They may easily make the subscriber inconsistent,
especially if
+   a user specifies the wrong transaction ID or the position of
origin, and should
+   be used as a last resort.
+   Alternatively, you might consider changing the data on the
subscriber so that it
+   doesn't conflict with incoming changes, or dropping the
conflicting constraint or
+   unique index, or writing a trigger on the subscriber to suppress or redirect
+   conflicting incoming changes.
+  </para>

doc/src/sgml/ref/alter_subscription.sgml
(3)

(i) Doc needs clarification
BEFORE:
+      the whole transaction.  The logical replication worker skips all data
AFTER:
+      the whole transaction.  For the latter case, the logical
replication worker skips all data

(ii) "Setting -1 means to reset the transaction ID"

Shouldn't it be explained what resetting actually does and when it can
be, or is needed to be, done? Isn't it automatically reset?
I notice that negative values (other than -1) seem to be regarded as
valid - is that right?
Also, what happens if this option is set multiple times? Does it just
override and use the latest setting? (other option handling errors out
with errorConflictingDefElem()).
e.g. alter subscription sub skip (xid = 721, xid = 722);

src/backend/replication/logical/worker.c
(4) Shouldn't the "done skipping logical replication transaction"
message also include the skipped XID value at the end?

src/test/subscription/t/027_skip_xact.pl
(5) Some suggested wording improvements

(i)
BEFORE:
+# Test skipping the transaction. This function must be called after the caller
+# inserting data that conflict with the subscriber.  After waiting for the
+# subscription worker stats are updated, we skip the transaction in question
+# by ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP. Then, check if logical replication
can continue
+# working by inserting $nonconflict_data on the publisher.
AFTER:
+# Test skipping the transaction. This function must be called after the caller
+# inserts data that conflicts with the subscriber.  After waiting for the
+# subscription worker stats to be updated, we skip the transaction in question
+# by ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... SKIP. Then, check if logical replication
can continue
+# working by inserting $nonconflict_data on the publisher.

(ii)
BEFORE:
+# will conflict with the data replicated from publisher later.
AFTER:
+# will conflict with the data replicated later from the publisher.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia