Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...)

От Greg Nancarrow
Тема Re: Parallel INSERT (INTO ... SELECT ...)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 7:25 PM Greg Nancarrow <gregn4422@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 12:40 AM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> > In parallel, we are not doing anything(due to the same reason
> > explained in above comment) to find whether there is a foreign
> > partition or not while deciding to go with parallel/non-parallel copy,
> > we are just throwing an error during the first tuple insertion into
> > the partition.
> >
> > errmsg("cannot perform PARALLEL COPY if partition has BEFORE/INSTEAD
> > OF triggers, or if the partition is foreign partition"),
> >                             errhint("Try COPY without PARALLEL option")));
> >

> I'm wondering whether code similar to the following can safely be used
> to detect a foreign partition:
>
>     if (rel->rd_rel->relkind == RELKIND_PARTITIONED_TABLE)
>     {
>         int i;
>         PartitionDesc pd = RelationGetPartitionDesc(rel);
>         for (i = 0; i < pd->nparts; i++)
>         {
>             if (get_rel_relkind(pd->oids[i]) == RELKIND_FOREIGN_TABLE)
>             {
>                 table_close(rel, NoLock);
>                 return false;
>             }
>         }
>     }

Actually, the addition of this kind of check is still not good enough.
Partitions can have their own constraints, triggers, column default
expressions etc. and a partition itself can be partitioned.
I've written code to recursively walk the partitions and do all the
various checks for parallel-insert-safety as before, but it's doing a
fair bit of work.
Any other idea of dealing with this? Seems it can't be avoided if you
want to support partitioned tables and partitions.

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia