Re: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication

От Greg Nancarrow
Тема Re: Data is copied twice when specifying both child and parent table in publication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 3:13 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On further thinking about this, I think we should define the behavior
> of replication among partitioned (on the publisher) and
> non-partitioned (on the subscriber) tables a bit more clearly.
>
> - If the "publish_via_partition_root" is set for a publication then we
> can always replicate to the table with the same name as the root table
> in publisher.
> - If the "publish_via_partition_root" is *not* set for a publication
> then we can always replicate to the tables with the same name as the
> non-root tables in publisher.
>
> Thoughts?

I'd adjust that wording slightly, because "we can always replicate to
..." sounds a bit vague, and saying that an option is set or not set
could be misinterpreted, as the option could be "set" to false.

How about:

- If "publish_via_partition_root" is true for a publication, then data
is replicated to the table with the same name as the root (i.e.
partitioned) table in the publisher.
- If "publish_via_partition_root" is false (the default) for a
publication, then data is replicated to tables with the same name as
the non-root (i.e. partition) tables in the publisher.

?

Regards,
Greg Nancarrow
Fujitsu Australia